Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Happy April Fool's Day

I want to wish to all a Happy April Fool’s Day. Hope you weren’t tricked by too many people.
In consideration of the day, I want to share our experience of fooling and being fooled...
Jann and I, being twins, had always wanted to play an April Fools Joke on someone. We had the ability, looking very much alike, to confuse people. After all, with our voices sounding so similar, we could call someone on the phone (Emery and our parents got fooled all the time...) and talk for quite awhile before the person on the other end of the phone discovered that they were speaking to a different twin than they thought they were speaking to. I even remember one time shortly after Jann moved to Dallas, that we changed the dresses we were wearing and tried to fool our little children (ages 2-7). They all ran to the opposite “mama”, until we laughingly straightened the confusion out.
When Jann and I were in junior high, we decided to fool our teachers on April Fool’s Day. We knew there would be hazards involved, but we knew enough about each other’s classes that we felt we could pull it off. We prepped each other and prepared for the big day. Of course, we were too chicken to illegally pull off this stunt...so we went into our principal and requested his permission to do it. He laughed when he heard of our plan, but promised he would not say anything to our teachers...
We were very nervous on April Fool’s Day, because we’d never tried something this daring before. But we geared up for the different classes we would encounter. There were a few of the classes (like PE, etc.) that were easy squeezy classes to fake. However, I remember going into a class...can’t even remember the class, but it was something major like geography. Jann and I were both in her class together. We had forgotten to exchange the assignments that we had to turn in, and we still had our own assignments. So then we had to 'fess up, and everyone had a good laugh. We were the talk among many of our friends for the next several days...
Yes, though we tried to “Fool”, we definitely got “Fooled”!!

With consolation, I’ll share my favorite April Fool’s song that I used to sing with my preschool children when I taught preschool:

APRIL FOOL’S DAY

Your hair is the color of tomato soup
April Fools, April Fools
There’s a great big gorilla in the chicken coop
April April Fools.

Chorus:
Oh, look out the window, what’dya see?
Peaches on the cherry tree.
I fool you, you fool me,
This is April Fool’s Day...

The pig in the parlor has a big cigar,
April Fools, April Fools,
There’s a 3 headed elephant in Grandpa’s car,
April April Fools..

Chorus:

The cow in the clover gave the horse a kiss,
April Fools, April Fools
You can’t ever sing a silly song like this
‘Cept on April Fool’s Day...
April April Fools.

2 comments:

  1. That's not exactly what happened. We had prepared by telling the principal, and had prepped each other on all the requirements of each class,so we could answer what questions that were asked us. However in one class (Ms. Bohannen's?) we were both in her class together. The problem didn't come from the questions she asked (I don't think she was really tipped off.), but from the fact that we had to turn in an assignment, and hadn't exchanged assignments with each other. We still each had our own assignment. So then we had to 'fess up, and everyone had a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS...thanks for the words to the April Fool's song. I was wondering about those. I never learned it as well as you did...

    ReplyDelete