This past Christmas we had all four of our children home for the holidays, including all of their spouses and five of the most precious grandchildren you ever saw.
I want to testify that children bring out the magic in Christmas. Having all our children and grandchildren in our home was a priceless time that reminded me so much of the reunions we had at Christmas time in Houston with Mom and Dad. Yes, we even had family spread out to my house when there wasn't enough room in "the inn". To see the sheer joy and excitement in the eyes of our little grandchildren, as well as to share in the joy of their parents on Christmas morning and every day before and after was a priceless memory for me that cannot be contained. To see our little Alex "Mary" with little Kyle "Joseph" tucking little baby Cordelia "Jesus" in a manger that Bekah had made, and to see our sweet Bekah "Angel" spread her arms in praises to our God using her Tinker Bell princess wand with little Jack and his daddy Richie in awe as the shepherds brought back a flood of memories of years gone by.
Having shared that, there is much to be said about living like and learning from my Mom. Mom was kind of used to having my kids around in Houston, and so her reunions were a little bit different than my circumstances, but I have to admire Mom and Dad for making those reunions wonderful!! I'm sure it wasn't easy having everyone descend on your home like they did, and they had 7 children with families to my four children. I must say, this Christmas helped me to understand a little better what Mom and Dad accomplished to bring about joyful memories...the cooked meals, the planned activities, the songs and games and decorations and gifts, the talking and sharing, the caroling to neighbors and friends, the field trips and loving shared. All took thought and planning and lots of prayers, which Dad, and particularly Mom did so well. My time is just beginning, and I am looking forward to it with open arms and open hugs...I only hope my time will measure up in some part to the time Mom and Dad spent in loving our family.
Here's to you, Mom!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment